Doing Things for Others

There are certain times in life that people tend to think about themselves more than they think of others. Sometimes it’s expected, like in high school, and other times it’s understandable, like when you’re planning your wedding, but I don’t think it’s ever good for these phases to last too long. Kyle and I have been in the “worry about ourselves first mode” lately since buying a home and dealing with insurance companies and medical bills. I forgot how draining it is until I was finally able to something for someone else.

Last week I found out that one of the girls at work is leaving. Katie and I have gotten to know each other over the past year. She came here from Chicago (talk about a big adjustment) and although I’m sure she has enjoyed her time at the Foundation, it is time for her to move back to her home town. A group of OSUF girls got together on Monday night to wish her farewell with Hideaway pizza and music at Joe’s. It was definitely a small gesture, but I think she enjoyed herself and really appreciated that we planned something for her. Knowing that makes skipping the Bachelorette and missing a few hours of sleep totally worth it.


This is a picture of the gang. Katie is the little one in the middle.

Whether it’s lending a bed to a friend going through a rough time or throwing a baby shower for one of the world’s best bosses, it feels great to think of others. So think about what you can do this week to make someone smile and get it done. Chances are that by making someone's day better, your day will improve in the process!

Editor’s Note: I’m so sorry to those of you who have tried to comment but weren’t able to. I’ve played around with the settings, so hopefully that will fix the problem for all future posts.



Kyle took a few pictures of his bike before it was taken away by the insurance company, so I thought I'd share one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day