New Wheels

Several months ago, Kyle was itching to make a big purchase. We did some casual house hunting but didn't fall in love with anything, so we thought perhaps it would be best to replace my car instead.

There was nothing wrong with my Honda, but it was nearing 100,000 miles, which made Kyle a little nervous. He has always been very protective of me and wants to make sure I have a reliable car. Being the thrifty person I am, I would drive a car until the wheels fell off if it were up to me. But I'm thankful he cares. Yes, I choose to be thankful he cares, and I try to repeat that to myself anytime I'm feeling the opposite.

I'm also thankful he's in the car business, which makes car shopping a breeze for me. Like the last car we purchased, he had this one all picked out and just ran it by me for final approval. I told him if we could get what we wanted for my car, I was on board. As luck would have it, my car sold in just a few weeks. We thought the timing would work out perfectly, but it turns out my new car wouldn't be ready for another six weeks! It's a good thing I am a patient person. (Then again, it's not all that hard to be patient when you have a loaner car to get you through.) When it finally got here, it was definitely worth the wait.

We opted for an SUV this time around. It's a 2014 Toyota Highlander. I was afraid I wouldn't like it because it is so much bigger than my car, but it's so easy to drive. It's nothing like the Suburban my parents had growing up. I never felt comfortable behind the wheel of that thing. Although, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison because I spent very little time driving that car due to a little incident I had after getting my learner's permit. I MAY have gotten the gas and break confused causing  the car to bump into the outside of the garage. After that, my Mom was pretty content to leave my driver's education up to Coach Phelps.

But I digress. I am loving the new car, but I have an overwhelming feeling that it's WAY out of my league. It feels extravagant - up to a point where it's hard for me to really enjoy it. I'm not exactly sure why that is. Maybe I just have too much Donahue blood in me. After all, my Grandpa literally had them take air conditioning out of a vehicle because it wasn't necessary. Who does that?! It is such a blessing to be content and at peace with what you have. That is something I've learned from observing my grandparents and the way they live. I suppose I worry that if Kyle and I do have children some day, it will be harder to demonstrate that to them. I never want them to take things for granted or to think their happiness comes from what they own. At the end of the day, Christ is my true blessing and as long as I am His, He will supply my every need.




Farewell, Honda! We had some great times together and you will be missed.

Comments

  1. Drivers Ed with you and coach phelps was my all time favorite class!!! Remember when he used the break on you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! If only I could have learned to stop killing poor Johnny at every stop sign. :) Maybe this is why people are afraid to ride with me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day

Embrace