Sectional Shopping

I am a planner. I like to know what's coming. That's why unexpected things - like Oliver's nervous chewing, for example - tend to stress me out. I am trying to get better. I really do think I'm making some progress, but, never the less, I was feeling a little frustrated when buying a sectional suddenly moved up to the top of our priority list. Don't get me wrong. I have been wanting one for a really long time, I just wanted to have a little more say in the timing of things. But, God knows best. It turns out our tax return will cover the cost of the sectional, making things much easier to swallow.

So over the last few weeks, we've been shopping around for one. I am the queen of buyers remorse, so that usually makes me very indecisive. I second guess myself all the time, and I usually need someone else's opinion before pulling the trigger. It's not the best trait. But after looking around online and at floor models, I actually knew exactly what I wanted when it came time to order.

It was amazing. He would show me the options, and I had definite, quick opinions. He pulled out fabric swatches, and I was actually able to say  yes and no without much debate. I did take a few samples home to see how they'd work, but that's still major progress in my book!

It was freeing and made me regret all the time I spend doubting myself. I like to think I am a fairly confident person, but I am constantly looking to others for assurance and approval. Why? It's the people pleaser in me, I suppose. Maybe with age, I am gaining more self assurance. I sure hope so. There has to be something good about getting older. (Says the woman whose husband, all on his own, bought her wrinkle cream the other day!)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with self doubt. If you have any encouraging stories about how you've overcome, I'd love to hear them. We're all a work in progress, but that's part of the fun of life. I wonder who God will make me into before this rodeo ends...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day

Embrace