Chevron and Shutters

This weekend we had a lot of fun things going on and I can’t wait to update you, but I’m a little behind, so first things first. The weekend before last was the third one in a row that we were in Stillwater and had no plans. Kyle was in heaven. I, on the other hand, was getting a little antsy. He works on Saturdays so on weekends that we have nothing to prepare for I stay home and clean the house, do laundry, go grocery shopping, etc. While I don’t mind doing these things, I don’t necessarily look forward to them either. So I told Kyle that this Saturday I was going to tackle a project that I’ve wanted to do for some time now…recovering our dining room chairs.

If you read the early stages of this blog, you know that there are literally only 3 pieces of furniture in our house that Kyle and I have purchased (our bed and nightstands). The rest has been given to us. Every. Single. Piece. We are so blessed to have such loving family and friends who will gift us with their hand-me-downs, and we are happy to put them to good use. However, it’s also nice to be able to incorporate your own style into your home, which is hard to do when working with other people’s tastes.

Greg and Stacie swapped dining tables with us just after Henry was born so they could have a little more space at their house. While we love the table and chairs, I’ve been noticing more and more stains on them. I think Asher’s obsession with noisy putty might have something to do with this! So it was time for a little refresher. I have been looking at fabric every now and then for quite some time and my sister even helped me pick out one that I loved. But, as you know, I’m horrible at making decisions. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, when I won the Donahue Family Bracket Challenge for the 2nd year in a row (whoop, whoop!) I decided I should use my winnings to bite the bullet and buy the fabric.

So that was one of the projects going on at the Fox house that weekend. Below are some before and after pictures.

Before 

After


The other project we worked on was new shutters for the house. We’ve been stalling on this, too, because the thought of drilling into brick makes me cringe. But when I actually looked at the price of the new shutters (only $33), I just couldn’t resist any longer. So we started the project and three trips to Lowe's and two sets of shutters later, we had finished the job. It really wasn’t that difficult if you have the right tools and read the instructions before you start making holes. We didn’t exactly do it that way the first time!

 Before

 During. I thought it was going to be really hard to clean-up the brick under the shutters but a good power washing worked like a charm! 

 After

I am still getting used to them, but I think I’m going to like them, especially when I can plant some flowers in the garden finally. I’m hoping this week will be the last bit of cold for a while. Fingers crossed.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have some broken parts of my shutter too. I'm thinking of repairing them but I think I would just be buying new custom shutters that's more durable. My shutters are just too damaged. I'm saving what you taught in my head so that I'll be able to repair my shutter if the moment I see a little damage in time so that it won't get to worst.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day