Holiday Treats

Since Christmas is almost upon us, I thought I'd share some of the holiday treats I've given this season. I always see cute ideas for packaging online, and I want to try them out. Figuring out what to put in them is always my challenge. I struggle with baking. Not all of us are blessed with baking talents like my cousin, Blair. She even makes her own marshmallows and has a blog to prove it!

Take 1: Puppy Chow
I decided that for my Student Foundation executive team I would make them a little bag of puppy chow to thank them for all the time they've dedicated this past semester. I like the holiday treat mixes with almond bark, pretzels and Christmas M&Ms, but there's something about puppy chow that makes me feel like a kid again. Probably because I still have vivid memories of eating it at Beth Berkenbile's house during play dates.

Unfortunately the store was out of Chex cereal, and I had waited until the night before to make the treats, so I grabbed the off brand and headed home to get started. I was making a double batch, which required two separate bowls. However, I heated up all the ingredients together. I think the chocolate got too cool or something because it was extremely hard to mix together. It was all clumpy and the more I stirred, the more the off brand cereal broke to pieces. :( It's pretty hard to screw up puppy chow, but I did it. So I decided to scrap that idea all together.

Take 2: Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
I needed something I could make over lunch and when I saw peppermint marshmallows at the store, I thought that would be perfect. This time it turned out great. I think next time I might mix 1/2 peppermint marshmallows and 1/2 regular. They were more pink than I thought, so I dusted them with powdered sugar to make them a little more Christmas-y.

As it turns out, one of the execs was allergic to peanuts, so the puppy chow wouldn't have worked anyway. Everything happens for a reason! 

Chocolate and Candy Cane Marshmallows
I was looking for something different to give to my work friends. I absolutely love hot cocoa, so when I stumbled upon this idea, I just had to make it! Not only was it yummy but it was super easy and inexpensive. As an added bonus, the website I got these from also had printable gift tags making it even easier!


I changed up the recipe a bit using 1 bag of jumbo marshmallows to 1 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips instead of chocolate bark. I also added red, green and white sprinkles to half of them. Overall, I was very pleased with the way this one worked out. It's my favorite so far.

Now I'm off to try Blair's white chocolate peppermint pie. It's going to have to be Oreo peppermint pie because I couldn't find the white chocolate pudding mix, but I bet it's just as good! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day