Glitter and Felt

Well here we are in the middle of December, and I can’t believe I have yet to post about Christmas! I love, love, LOVE this time of year. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t? Even if you don't celebrate Christmas people are more generous this time of year, you get days off work and restaurants carry beverages of the peppermint variety. I am in heaven!

Decorating for Christmas was so much fun this year. Since we got married, we’ve been slowly building our ornament collection. Most of them are generic, but every year we add one or two that have a story behind them. I can’t wait for the day when almost every ornament on our tree has meaning.



Compared to last year, our home is much more decked out. There are several reasons for this. The first is Pinterest. I have a little bit of a love-hate relationship with this site. I love it because it is chock-full of great ideas. I hate it because I feel like I need to try everything and there just aren’t enough hours in the day… I did try one wreath idea I saw. You can find the tutorial here.

It doesn’t look too bad does it? That’s what I thought. It was simple in terms of process but it was extremely involved in terms of time. Part of the reason could be that I couldn’t find heavyweight felt and I used a pretty thick wreath. But after 2 ½ afternoons of tracing, cutting and pinning felt, I was finally finished. I was pretty happy with the final result!

 It looks a little pink in this picture, but I think the lighting was just off.


Another addition to our Christmas décor this year was a nativity scene. We celebrate Christmas because of the birth of Jesus Christ. That’s what it’s all about, so a nativity scene is a must. The only problem is I have had trouble finding one I like. I grew up playing with my Mom’s nativity scene. Almost every piece had been chipped, cracked or hot glued, but no one could deny that it had been well loved. This keeps me from purchasing one that’s too expensive. One day when we have kiddos, I don't want them to feel like it's "off limits." We also don’t have a lot of space, so we need one that’s compact. After looking at store after store, we finally found one in Estes Park. It was different than any other I’d ever seen and it was covered in one of my favorite materials – glitter! Glitter makes everything better! Eventually we will get one that has separate pieces, but this one is just right for now.


Finally, Kyle and I got a big surprise when some friends of ours gave us a Christmas tree! They have more than a dozen (that is not an exaggeration), so now when they get a new one, they give one away. We were excited about the delivery but weren’t really sure how well it would fit in. As it turns out, we had just the right place for it! Since our main tree is more traditional, we went with a blue and green theme for this tree. Of course I didn’t have enough ornaments for it, so I decided to decorate it with Christmas cards. I really love this because it makes our friends and family a part of our Christmas décor.


I also added some words to the tree that related to Christmas - family, Jesus, joy, love, etc. 

Well that's all I've got for now. I know this is a busy time of year for everyone but in between the parties and the presents, I hope you'll take some time to share Christ's love with others. I can't think of a better way to celebrate Christmas! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day

Embrace