Mother's Day

What "Mother" Means
"Mother" is such a simple word,
But to me there’s meaning seldom heard.
For everything I am today,
My mother’s love showed me the way.
I’ll love my mother all my days,
For enriching my life in so many ways.
She set me straight and then set me free,
And that’s what the word "mother" means to me.
-- Karl Fuchs

Sometimes you just don’t have the words, so I looked for a poem that expressed some of the things I appreciate about my mother and some of the things I know Kyle loves about his mom. I thought the one above did a pretty good job of capturing where we are today with our moms.

I don’t know that mothering is ever easy. In fact, I’m convinced it’s probably the most difficult thing in the world. However, it’s probably easiER to mother your children when they are young and depending on you for everything. Once they are grown and on their own, I imagine it gets more difficult to balance and maintain your relationship. Kyle and I are so blessed to have mothers who want to be involved in our lives, yet aren’t trying to run the show. They understand we are capable of making our own decisions, but are still there to answer the phone when we need advice, love and encouragement.

We are so blessed. I am well aware that not everyone is fortunate enough to have their mother still with them, which makes us appreciate celebrating with them even more.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! You have been the most influential person in my life, and I am the woman I am today because of all the sacrifices you made to give me a wonderful upbringing. I couldn’t be more honored to get to call you my mother!

We have hardly any pictures of Mom because she is usually behind the camera, so here's one of her and Asher last weekend.

The day before Mother's Day they were busy planting Mom's garden. Asher liked watering himself a little more than the flowers! :)

Mom asked for a volleyball net for Mother's Day, which seems totally random, but it's just like her to ask for something that's really for the rest of the family. We had a great time playing until it got too dark.

At 19 months, Asher can count to 14 all by himself. Here's a video of him and Dad counting together to 10. I missed 1, but I figured you could fill in the blank.



Mother's Day weekend was when the Kentucky Derby was happening and Asher loved watching it. He rode his horse along with them. Mucho Macho Man was his favorite and I believe that horse got third place!



We celebrated with Kyle's mom this past weekend. Today is actually her birthday, so happy birthday Momma Fox!

She is VERY excited to be a grandma and it won't be too long now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day