The Halloween Decorations

I really look forward to October because my favorite season is fall and my favorite holiday (besides Christmas) is Halloween. I was super excited this year because I finally have a house to decorate! Unfortunately, Kyle doesn’t feel the same way.

I would say 90 percent of our “heated discussions” are about money. I’m a saver, he’s a spender, and therein lays the problem. His phone contract is almost up and he has been dying to get a smart phone. The only problem is that not only are they more expensive up front, but it’s an additional charge each month. So every time he brings it up, I tell him that we need to wait a few months and then see how it fits into the budget. (We are still getting used to paying the mortgage and waiting to be reimbursed for Kyle’s medical bills.)

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for him, and overall he has been VERY patient with me. But that patience ended when he came home to discover that I had gone crazy buying “junk” for the house. Obviously we don’t see eye to eye on the importance of décor. I tried to argue my point, telling him that I only spent $20 and chose green accents instead of orange so I could repurpose them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, you name it; but I was wasting my breath.

After spending far too much time debating the issue, it’s now become a running joke in our house. Every time a visitor mentions the decorations I say, "Babe, did you hear that?!" In my mind, I don’t see how $20 on decorations is anywhere close to the hundreds of dollars we will spend on a phone over the course of a year, but I’m putting it behind me and we are agreeing to disagree. I won’t spend anymore on Halloween decorations (this year) and he will get a phone upgrade when the time comes.

Marriage is compromise and after nearly two years, I think we both understand that a lot better. I’m sad to say it but the honeymoon has ended and we are now the couple that squabbles about silly things all day long. But when it’s all said and done, we love each other no matter what and that’s all that really matters. :)

Enjoy these Halloween pictures!

On Friday evening Kyle and I went to Hennessey to carve pumpkins with the fam. I thought mom's garden looked great this year, except for the OU sign of course!

We had a cookout and Kyle ate his first-ever s'more. He liked it, but I don't think he liked me taking so many pictures that night. :)

Uncle Kyle reading Asher his animal book. I just love Asher's shirt!

It's a little pumpkin for a little guy.


These are our pumpkins, and yes, my pattern "glamor kitty" came with special eyes!

The whole gang, minus the Wards. It was bedtime.

How could you not love this rug?! I had to buy it, and I stand by my decision.


Comments

  1. Kyle had never had a s'more!? Are you serious?? wow. I actually had one friday night. Pretty bomb.

    Also, I agree w/ Kyle and Josh, you probably could put on your dads yard! dang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I couldn't believe that either. And he thinks I'm sheltered!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day