Godspeed, Lisa



Tomorrow, thousands of runners will flock to downtown Oklahoma City to take part in the Memorial Marathon. One of them will be Lisa. I don’t know Lisa’s last name and probably never will, but I am praying that she has a wonderful race and that her energy helps inspire those around her tomorrow.

I met Lisa a few weeks ago at the Redbud Classic in Oklahoma City. We each lined up somewhere along the 10k starting line with the sun beating down on us. At 2 p.m., we were off. This was my first-ever 10k, and I had been training for it off and on since August. I knew I could complete it because I had run this distance several times on the streets of Stillwater. Running has become part of my routine and every Saturday, Oliver and I head out on a miles-long journey. But this race was different than all those mornings. It was an afternoon, which happened to be the warmest day in a while. Lucky us! I could tell it would be a challenge when I stopped to walk around the 2-mile mark.

I am not a fast runner, but I try to remind myself that slow and steady finishes the race. So mentally, all the stopping and going left me feeling a little defeated. But I kept going, running when I could and walking when I needed to. The Redbud Classic is fun because it winds through neighborhoods. People sit out on their lawns to cheer on and encourage the runners. And some very nice homeowners go the extra mile. They drag out their water hoses and provide a cool shower to those passing by. I kept an eye out for these special people and ran toward the water every chance I got. Before I got there, I would imagine the cool sprinkles hitting my burning skin to relieve the heat - if only for a short moment. And every single time, when I actually got to the water, it was cooler than I’d expected, taking my breath away in a wonderful way.

So I went on like this for a few miles. Somewhere along the way, I got a little too close to the water hose and ended up drenching my right side. Water covered my glasses and I could feel it in my ear, so I took out my right headphone to let it dry. A few blocks later, Lisa walked up to me and asked why on earth they make us run in the afternoon. We laughed and started talking. For about a mile or so, we talked about training, our jobs and her family. I was convinced that God had put me in her path for a reason, so we ran/walked together. Around 5 ½ miles I asked her if she had any children and she told me about them. She also shared that she had struggled to get pregnant with her second, enduring multiple miscarriages. It was about this point that I realized God her put her in my path, too, to speak life and encouragement to me.

We couldn’t see the finish line until we were about 2 tenths of a mile in front of it, but we didn’t let that stop us. We both kept going. Although we had prepared and trained for a better race, we were where we were, and we weren’t going to let that stop us from finishing. It took us longer than the huge crowd that had passed the race before us, but had my sole focus been on achieving the best time possible, I wouldn’t know Lisa. I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to learn from her example.
Running has been a healing thing for me since we had our miscarriage in July. It’s given me little goals to strive for when the rest of my life has felt like it’s on pause. It has taught me that with enough focus and effort, I can do things that I at one time saw as impossible. But most importantly, this race in particular, taught me that God’s agenda is so much better than my own.
Lisa and I ended up finishing the race only a few minutes behind my trail runs. How, I’m not exactly sure, but those minutes were worth it, and I’m thankful for the way God worked in my life on that day.

So, as Lisa faces the half tomorrow morning, I am thinking of her and praying that her race brings her closer to Him.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

Independence Day

A Yellow Brick Farewell