#StillwaterStrong


Fall in Stillwater is, without question, my favorite time of year. Unfortunately, I've spent less time in Stillwater this fall than I have since I moved into 309 Drummond Hall many moons ago. Between my trips out of town and a hectic work schedule, the season was passing me by. I was focusing on going, going, going, without stopping to take in the moment and appreciate all of the little things that make this wonderful place my home. 

Then, last Saturday happened, and I was reminded just how short life is. Four people lost their lives and more than 40 others were injured during what should have been the happiest weekend of the year. They don't call it America's Greatest Homecoming Celebration for nothing. I was at home during the parade getting ready to go to the game. It was hard to focus as I found myself picking up my phone every few minutes to see if there was any new information about what had happened and listening to the helicopters pass over the house. 

Kyle and I don't have season tickets, but I had volunteered to work in the suites during the Homecoming game, and I was glad I had. In that moment I just wanted to be around my OSU family. It was a strange atmosphere at the game and it's been an even stranger week as everything continues to sink in. But I am so proud of how my town has come together to support one another and how other schools have reached out to us during this time. Tradition and tragedy have a way of bringing people together. This past weekend, we experienced both and while I'd never want our community to have to relive those days, I am grateful for the lessons they taught us.

As it turns out, I've made lots of memories in Stillwater this fall, I just needed a little perspective to truly appreciate them. 

 
Transformers invaded Stillwater and Henry and Ella got to check them out one September day. 


As luck would have it, the first  home game was a night game, so Kyle and I got to go. 

There's nothing like watching the sun set over BPS!



We watched the second half of the game with these jokers. 

Kyle's been squeezing in lots of golf this fall. 

And sometimes I tag along. 

One plus of being at the office after hours is Oliver can stop by! 

 Plus, Kyle had the white board all to  himself. I am so jealous of his artistic ability. He just whipped this out freehand while waiting on me to finish. 

Normally, fall in Stillwater would mean volunteering for the Walk MS, but things changed this year and, instead, we hosted the finish line of Bike MS. 

It was a lot of work, but all paid off when riders started coming in. 


Because it was on Sunday, Kyle actually got to come out and help!

In addition to the regular crew.

My job was to recruit and organize volunteers. Here are a few of the awesome students who came out to lend a hand. We were so lucky to have them there! 

That evening, which also happened to be Dad's birthday, Kyle expressed his inner science nerd as we watched the super blood moon.

 And then it was finally time for OSU Homecoming!

These were a few of my favorite house decs. This year was definitely the most impressive walkaround I've ever been to.





 The view from the suites as we waited for the stands to fill and the game to start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day