Heels for Hope: Our first 5k


A week after we got back from Mexico, Kyle and I ran in our first 5k. Our running journey started in August when I got Kyle to agree to train for a half marathon with me. He had talked me down from a full marathon, and I was convinced that a half would be a piece of cake. Then we went running for the first time.

I discovered just how out of shape I am and how much I hate running. Two seconds in and my face is beet read, I'm dripping in sweat and sucking in air like every breath might be my last. I like being good at things so it's been annoying that this doesn't come more naturally to me. It also doesn't help at all that Kyle could run laps around me from day one.

Nevertheless, we pressed on with the goal of our 5k in sight. Finally, the big day was here. We met Kim and the rest of the crew in OKC for the Heels for Hope race. Kim has been organizing a team in support of Diane for several years but this was our first time to get to be a part of it, and I am so glad we were there.

Kyle and I were the only ones running the 5k, so everyone was able to see us off at the starting line. It was a warm September day, with highs in the mid-80s. Not the most ideal weather for running, but a few days before it was in the 90s, so it definitely could have been worse. Kyle and I decided we would each run our own race and, after the first few minutes, I didn't see him again until the turnaround point. I had trouble getting into a rhythm and definitely didn't run my best race, but after Kyle crossed the finish line, he came back to find me so we could run the last leg together.

I was so glad to finish. Afterward, we went out to lunch to spend time together and celebrate Diane.

This whole running experience has been very humbling. Discipline is one of my strengths, but I have fallen off the wagon lately with all of my travel. I am back to running every weekend, but I'd like to get another race on the schedule so I have something to work toward. I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to the half marathon like I'd anticipated, but we will see what the future holds.   

 We posed for a few pictures while waiting for the blast of the shotgun to start us off! 

We had the best cheering squad around. 


Crossing the finish line together.


At the end of the race there was a splash pad, and I had to resist the urge to lay down right in the middle of it. I'm sure Morgan would have liked the company! 



Kyle was studying his ticket and realized he was the first place runner in his age division with a time of 31 minutes. We were so excited! This is a picture of him getting his medal. 

He MAY have let this win go to his head because he wanted to sleep in his medal that night. :) 


Our first 5k is in the books! Here's to a few more before all is said and done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day