Grandma's Glasses

Ever since Christmas, I’ve been thinking about death more than I usually do. I hope that doesn’t sound morbid, it’s just a concept that my 26-year-old self still has trouble grasping. I know the mechanics of it, and I strongly believe that for Christians it’s a joyous occasion, but it’s still a little hard to fathom when I sit down and think about it.

I was 12 years old when Grandma Taylor died. There have been so many times I’ve wished I would have known her better. I have and will always have great memories of her. We were over at their house all the time, especially in the summer. I can remember going over to swim and drooling over the freshly baked oatmeal cookies cooling on the counter. They were big, thin and gooey – just as every cookie should be if you ask me. I remember staying over at Grandma and Grandpa’s and eating popcorn for breakfast by the pool. I remember playing with the ceramic bears in her bay window, each bearing one of our names. I can still hear her laugh and to this day, every time I see “Band-Aid shoes,” I think of her. But there are so many things I don’t remember and even more that I never knew. Compared to others who bury their grandmas due to old age, my memory bank is much smaller but it’s just as valuable.

Before a few years ago, I didn’t have anything (to my knowledge) that belonged to Grandma. However, as Grandpa was going through things after Martha died, he found some stemware. Apparently Grandma was a novice collector, so there were far too many glasses for him to use. He brought them over to Mom and Dad’s and we split them up between us kids. I love the glasses I got, not because of the design but because they were hers. Now, when I host the Bachelor and I’m preparing refreshments, I think of her and it makes me smile.

I sometimes wonder  why God planned things this way, but He knows better than I do. Plus, if I couldn’t have my Grandma Taylor, I’m glad Grandpa married Martha who loved us like her own. That fun, spunky, creative lady was always a blast to be around. I was fortunate to have two grandmas on the Taylor side that each loved us in their own unique way. I’m sure they’re worshiping together in heaven now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day