Waterworks

It was an emotional New Year's Eve for me this year for several reasons, but mainly because I was sick and sickness makes me crazy. I wouldn't consider myself an emotional person, and I rarely cry about things especially not around other people. However, when I'm under the weather I do strange things, like cry hysterically over things that aren't that big of a deal. The first time this happened was probably when I got my wisdom teeth out. Luckily my mother was the only one who had to handle my emotional outbreaks. I think she found them comical, much like I do now.

The second time it happened was when I got the swine flu. That's right, H1N1, people! This was back when people were freaking out about an epidemic. I had just returned from the doctor, and I got a call from my boss's boss to see if it was OK for the Foundation to release my name as someone who had been infected. Poor Marlo Duffy Turner had to listen to me mumble and cry for what seemed like 10 minutes before I could finally sniffle out "it's fine." (That conversation was followed quickly with an e-mail letting everyone know who leper was. I believe it even ended with "We are stocking up on sanitary supplies and will have some available to you by the end of the afternoon" or something horrifying like that.)

When it's happening, I wish so badly to control it but there is no use. Every now and then I think it's good to have those human moments. When you are completely helpless and you just have to count on your friends and family to love you anyway and be there for you when you're down.

Although my NYE was tearful, it reminded me of all the great things I have in my life. Even on bad days, I have plenty of people who love me and accept me for who I am. 2011 was a good year. It was for the most part uneventful, which I consider a good thing. You need some plateaus to even out the hills and valleys. We gained a few more nephews, celebrated the weddings of not one but two good friends, tried out new hobbies (cake class and dirt bike riding), bought the Camaro, and traveled to Estes Park. I'm excited to see what awaits us in 2012!

Comments

  1. When it comes to emotional outbreaks, you know I can relate. I believe you've even witnessed a few of my outbreaks...which seem to come much more frequently after having children (i.e. hormones gone CRAZY). Looking forward to our lunch date today. Yes, I'm wide awake at 2:44 AM blog stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michal! I'm adding that to my "things to mentally prepare for before children" list, which keeps growing and growing... Perhaps that's a future blog? I ALWAYS love our lunches. An hour is never enough time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day