A Frightening Father’s Day

With babies all around us, people keep asking Kyle and me when we are going to have a little one (as if we can predict the future). We usually pretend we can and say not for a while. This is then followed by a disappointed response, particularly from Kyle’s parents. I don’t blame them. I’m sure we’ll make some pretty cute grandkids some day, but I don’t think we’re quite there yet.

A dream I had just before Father’s Day further highlighted this. During the dream we were at a late movie that ended around 2 a.m. When we got home, our new neighbors were having a block party so we went over to meet them. An hour later, they ask us something about our family and it suddenly dawns on me that we have a daughter. I ask Kyle where she is and he says I thought you put her in the car. We immediately excuse ourselves and ask the new neighbors not to call DHS on us. The second we leave, they do and lucky for us, the cops are there when we realize we’ve been car jacked and our one-year-old is missing. Don’t ask me where this stuff comes from, but I woke up sweating and very glad it had all been a dream.

I’m not one for analyzing dreams, but I think this is an illustration of how apprehensive I am about the responsibilities that come with raising a child. The life of tiny, fragile human being is in your hands and that’s some pretty heavy stuff. Needless to say, my dream gave me an even greater appreciation for all the great fathers out there who, like our fathers, do a fantastic job of raising their children and preparing them for life.

I believe children are such a wonderful blessing, and I hope some day we’ll be fortunate enough to have a few of our own. I’m just thankful that when the time comes, God gives you another 9 months to prepare for such a life-altering change.

Sorry but I only have one photo for you this time. My camera went dead after I snapped this one.

Uncle, aka Zach, introduced the little man to the iPhone. When he saw Kyle's, he got all excited and started saying "el caballo, el caballo." There's an app you can download with animal sounds and names in English and Spanish. It's his favorite so Kyle let him play for a while. He's not quite bilingual just yet, but he says and understands horse and milk in Spanish. It's too cute!

Comments

  1. Enjoyed catching up on the happenings at the YBH. Always good stuff you write!

    Gerbs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day