30!


This March was my highly anticipated 30th birthday. It doesn't really bother me to get older. I'm not sure if that's because I am an old soul or if Kyle being a year older than me mentally prepares me for my next age. Either way, I'm glad that's the case. So when the big 3-0 got here, I wanted to mark the occasion by doing something fun. My word for the year has been daring, so I decided to do something I've never done before...go hot air ballooning!

I did a little research and ultimately decided to book a girls trip to Branson. It would be a nice weekend getaway, and we could stay in my family's condo. So on Friday, March 4, Kim, Krissi and I headed for the Ozarks. There was rain in the forecast, but my balloon guy said it looked like Saturday morning would be clear. How incredibly fitting to watch my 10,958th sunrise floating high in the air and taking in the beautiful scenery?! It was a perfect plan.

Until it wasn't. Rodney called late that evening to say that the winds aloft weren't looking good and that we should call again at 5 a.m. to see if there was any improvement. Unfortunately for us, there wasn't. As you can imagine, we were a little deflated. (pun intended) But we made the best of it, spending the day shopping, eating Mexican food, seeing Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, drinking wine, eating cannolis, watching a Netflix Fuller House Marathon and talking late into the night.

It wasn't how I had envisioned my 30th birthday, but it was still pretty great. That's such a fitting metaphor for life. We can either spend our time being sad about what we aren't or choose to appreciate ourselves for what we are and embrace where we've landed. My life at 30 looks nothing like I had imagined it to 10 - heck, even five - years ago, but I'm thankful for my journey. As I was driving to pick the girls up for our weekend getaway, this song came on the radio. I'm pretty sure it was subtle preparation for what was coming. It's been my theme song for this year and a good reminder that I am not the one in control of this little life of mine.  

I am not sure what the future holds for my next decade, but I'm excited to find out who I become on the other side. 

These girls are so great! They made my day so much fun and didn't let me end my birthday without cake and candles. We head back to Branson in July for our second attempt!

They aren't the only ones who love me, though. I followed up my birthday with family dinners, a celebration with my coworkers and dinner with a great friend. I am so blessed!
 
My M&C family surprised me with a cookie cake and ice cream on my first day back in the office. 

Thanks for the dinner and flowers, Jessica. They were beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day