HHS Career Day

A few months ago, I got an e-mail from Diane Riddle asking me to participate in the Hennessey High School Career Day. I was shocked they wanted me to come back but totally excited to share my experiences with the students. I am all for paying it forward, and, when I think about some of the individuals who helped me find my career, I feel like I'm slacking a bit in the mentor department. There is always more I could do to help others, so why not impart wisdom on the next generation of Eagles?

I agreed to come and then realized my session was 20 minutes long. That seemed like a really long time to me. I tried to think back to career day when I was in school, but the only memory I can muster is someone from a news station coming to talk to us about broadcasting. I certainly don't remember much of what he said. So I decided just to do my own thing. I talked about what led me to major in public relations at OSU, some of the areas I could have chosen upon graduation and what I now get to do for a living.

I had four sessions. By the end of the morning, I felt very sorry for high school teachers. Don't get me wrong, I had a good time and would gladly do it again if I were asked, but it was entirely different from what I expected. I thought there would be a lot of discussion and back-and-forth, but I was mistaken. It was clear by the expressions on their faces that they were just there to absorb whatever was being thrown at them. Most didn't feel a responsibility to actively participate, which should have been expected. I'm sure I was that way in school, too, especially on an early-release day just before the Thanksgiving holiday.

However, I did have a few that were genuinely interested in what I had to say and seemed to be intrigued by my career. That made me feel good because in high school, I had no idea the world of higher education fundraising existed. Had it not been for Dr. Darcy and his class "Fundraising for a Nonprofit," I never would have gotten an internship at the Foundation and there is no telling where I'd be working today. I am so grateful to have a career I love, and I hope eventually every student in that room finds the same thing. Life is too short to hate your job.

Here are a few pictures from the halftime celebration on Nov. 15 when the Foundation announced Branding Success has raised $1.2 billion for OSU. I guess the firework show wasn't ALL about me, but it was cool to know I've been a part of reaching this huge, future-altering goal!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day