Leaving Oliver


It’s strange how your feelings can make a complete 180 in a relatively short amount of time. When we first got Oliver, I felt completely suffocated. I can remember walking the aisles at Pet Smart wondering what on earth we had done. Caring for him and trying to figure him out (what he wants, what will keep him from tearing up the house, etc.) consumed all my free time. When I was away from him at work or running errands, I can remember getting knot in my stomach every time I saw a dog or even a picture of an animal. He would be there every single day for the rest of my foreseeable future. Life as I knew it had ended.

Perhaps that’s a little dramatic, but I was a bit irrational during the weeks following our adoption and that’s exactly how I felt. (It’s probably easier for you to understand why we don’t have kids now.) But almost overnight, everything changed as we got used to each other, developed a new routine and fell in love with this adorable little mutt. I never would have thought I’d be such a dog lover. So when we were about to leave on our first trip without him, I suddenly got a little anxious. Would he think we were leaving and never coming back?

Luckily we had some very capable and loving hands to leave him in. Kyle’s parents have had multiple dogs for as long as I’ve known them, so they were the first ones we asked to keep Oli while we were gone. I was a nerd and left them with a list of instructions for how much food/medicine to give him when, what toys are his favorite, etc. I know it’s a little overboard, but that’s the person I’ve become.

It turns out we all did OK without one other. Kyle’s parents sent lots of pictures and videos, which we appreciated, and did a great job spoiling Oliver rotten. It was a good trip, but we were definitely excited to get home and be reunited with our pup. He was pretty happy to see us, too!




 
 OK, maybe we're a little too attached... :/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day