One Crazy Weekend

What a weekend it was! Kyle and I were feeling super productive and even though I had a full plate, I'm happy to report that our bathrooms are FINALLY clean! I started writing this blog and then realized it was going to be super long, so I'll break it up into two parts.

Friday night Kyle and I had planned to go to the Kappa Delta softball tournament so I could support some of my Student Foundation girls. I was kind of in a rush when I got home, and I hurried to change clothes and empty the dishwasher. When Kyle arrived (late) he asked how I was not burning up. I told him it seemed warm, but little did I know it was 82 degrees in our house! Considering the thermostat was set to 70 that wasn't a great sign. An hour later after investigating the problem and having no luck, we were frustrated and hungry so we gave up and went out to dinner. Unfortunately, we never made it to the tournament, but I hear it was a great success.

After dinner it was off to the dirt bike track so Kyle could watch a few of his friends. I had been out there once before, but there were a lot more people there this time and they had turned on the lights so they could ride after dark. It was such a nice evening. We really enjoyed the change of pace. When we got home, Kyle called his dad about the air conditioner and he told us to be sure it hadn't blown a breaker. Wouldn't you know it, that fixed the problem! My father-in-law is such a good person to have around. He's knows all kinds of useful information like that!

We didn't find out until Saturday morning, but a little while after Kyle got off the phone with his dad, a tornado went through Ponca City. Kyle's family was OK, but they sustained a little damage to their property and their cars. They were lucky because after looking at some of the pictures there were buildings destroyed and several downed trees that were causing lots of problems for people. Below are some photos courtesy of Tom Rhyne.



On Saturday, I had the honor of volunteering for the Blazathon, which is an annual barbecue contest organized by the Elks Lodge. For those of you who don't know, Kyle is now a member. I volunteered to be a judge months ago since one of my coworkers was organizing the event. I ended up being a table captain instead of a judge, which was a blessing. Barbecue is one of my favorite kinds of food, but after a few hours smelling it and watching people eat it with their hands, it's pretty unappetizing so I'm glad I didn't have to eat it right away.

On Sunday, I interviewed candidates for the Student Foundation. We had such great applicants that it made the decision very hard. I love interviews because I really like meeting people and learning a little bit about them. I hate interviews because I have to judge what kind of person someone is in 5 minutes. That's not an easy task, and I always feel bad because I'm sure some people would be great, but they just don't shine in that setting. As unfortunate as it may be, that's the system in which we live.

In college I think that would have been me. In fact, I spoke to a PR class on Thursday about the importance of internships, and I told them that in the beginning I was very bad at interviews. I also passed on some advice that will hopefully help them when they are in that situation. That talk was probably the highlight of my week. I was super nervous going into it but so glad I did it. It always makes me feel good to look back on college, both at the things I did right and the things I did wrong. It's a part of who I am today. It also reminded me that taking risks and doing things you aren't sure about can be incredibly rewarding. I'm a "follow the rules," "play it safe" kind of girl, but when I can convince myself to step out of the box, I am generally really glad I did. I also learn a lot in the process.

Comments

  1. You were a great speaker! The students enjoyed all of your tips and information. So glad to have you back in the classroom!

    Gina Noble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina! I was so happy to be back. Talk about a great way to end the week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day