My Best Friend

I was so excited to bust out my sewing machine this past weekend. I've had it since Christmas, but I've never had the time to buy supplies and actually do something with it. Needless to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Look at my new sewing kit!

Something I love about sewing is that you can do it while thinking about other things. This past weekend, one of those things was friendship. Many people are lucky enough to have a best friend. Maybe it’s someone you work with or someone you roomed with in college. For me, it’s Kimberly. We’ve been friends for literally longer than I can remember. I couldn’t tell you how old we were when we first met, but most of my memories from elementary school and beyond include her.

There are a lot of great things about having someone in your life who’s been there for it all. We share a history that few can understand. I suppose it’s similar to what you have with your siblings, but it’s more special because you choose to be friends and continue to make that choice every day. I have many friends who I’ve lost touch with over the years for one reason or another but not Kim. I think there's something special about us that can survive pretty much anything, and we have so far. Whether it was me cutting her finger with my sewing scissors in our home ec class just before her big piano recital or locking her out of the room on a mission trip causing her to fall down the stairs and permanently injuring her anckle - it appears I can't get rid of her. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that! We've laughed and cried together for the past 20 or so years, and I look forward to all of the decades in our future. 

Below is a page from my high school scrapbook that captures just a few of the good times we’ve had together. Enjoy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day