My Dad

It's Dad's birthday today. We celebrated with him yesterday, and it was a wonderful ending to the weekend. Below are some photos.

Asher helped Dad open his presents. That's good practice for his first birthday next week!

We got Dad a grill for his birthday.

Josh gave Kyle a hair cut, too. He got a little cold, which is why he's wearing a trash bag. I promise we aren't as redneck as we seem!


When I was a teenager, I went through a stage when I didn't really enjoy having my parents around all of the time. Kyle can attest that that's not true anymore! I love visiting them any chance I get, and I especially love days like yesterday when the whole family is together.

As far as traits go, I take more after my mom (brown eyes, fine hair, mild temperament, etc.) but I have picked up plenty of things from my dad along the way. I think three of the most important things I've learned from watching him the past 24 years are:

1. Hard Work
As a small business owner and the only working parent, Dad spent a lot of hours at the grocery store ensuring that the rest of us could live comfortably. He taught us the importance of not only giving your best effort but also caring about the business you work for. It's not just about collecting a pay check but dedicating your time to making the organization a better place.

The strange thing is that when I look back on my younger years, most of my memories include him. I know he worked plenty of late nights but he found a way to balance work and family, and I have countless memories of us sitting around the dinner table, playing games and reading good night stories together. When Kyle and I do start a family, I will probably still be working so Dad gives me hope that one day I'll be able to balance it all!

2. Integrity
My father is a wonderful spiritual leader for our family and I really admire his integrity. Pretty much everyone has a family member they don't love to be associated with. When people ask, "Are you related to so and so?" I think there have been times when we've all be a little ashamed to say yes. That's never happened with Dad. I am so proud to be his daughter, and I don't know that I admire anyone more.

3. Generosity
Dad has always been a generous person. Whether it's his time or money, he's almost always willing to lend a hand to someone in need. I remember one Christmas morning he got a call from a customer who forgot to buy buttermilk (or something like that) and after we got done opening presents, he went to the store to get it for her. Not everyone would do that. He is also passionate about volunteering in the community and supports many nonprofit organizations that are making the world a better place one child at a time. Philanthropy is now my business, so I rub elbows with some pretty generous people, and I'm so thankful to come from such a giving background.

I thought since Dad is over half a century old today, it would be nice to take this opportunity to say thank you for ALL the wonderful things he's taught me throughout the years. These are just a few of the reasons why I am so glad to be his daughter. Happy birthday, Dad. I love you so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Text

A Yellow Brick Farewell

Independence Day